When visiting Egypt all foreign nationals must consider applying for an Egyptian visa.
There are only 9 countries worldwide that can visit Egypt without any type of visa. These countries are:
- Hong Kong
- Saudi Arabia
If you do not have a passport issued from the countries stated above you will need to apply for a visa or a visa on arrival.
The visa on arrival is available for tourists and business travelers once they arrive to Egypt. Currently there are 46 that enjoy this advantage:
- All the 28 countries in the European Union (including the UK)
- South Korea
- New Zealand
- The United States.
Travelers from these countries will be able to access Egypt and stay for 30 days (single entry) once landed meeting the below simple requirements:
- Passport validity must be of six months or more
- Contain a full page available in the passport as the Egyptian visa will cover half a page.
- Making payment of 25 USD. Eligible travelers are able to pay this fee in US dollars, Euros, or British Pounds, and are advised to arrive at the Egyptian point of entry of their choice with the exact change to avoid delays. Some counters accept credit cards but they are not always available.
If your passport does not permit a visa on arrival these are the steps you will need to handle before flying in:
- Contact the Egyptian embassy or consulate to set up an appointment
- Complete the Egypt Visa Application Form and provide required documentation:
- The Egypt Visa application form provided by the embassy or consulate
- 2 passport-size pictures
- A passport with validity for at least 6 months
- 2 blank pages on passport
- 2 photocopies of the personal information page of the passport
- If you are not a citizen of the country from which you’re applying: Your residence permit or other proof of legal residence
- Proof of a return or onward travel ticket
- Proof of accommodation in Egypt
- If you’re traveling for business: A Letter of Invitation from the company which has invited you
- Proof of payment of the visa fee
- If you apply by mail, also include a self-addressed and prepaid envelope so that the Egyptian embassy or consulate can return your passport and documents
- You can get the application form at the embassy or consulate offices. You can also text us for help.
- Pay the Egypt visa fee which varies depending on nationality (usually USD 35 approximately)
- Submit the documents and application to the Egyptian embassy or consulate. Process may vary from embassy/consulate to embassy/consulate: some offices require the in person submission; others allow submissions through mail.
- Wait for the visa to be processed
- Pick up your passport or have it mailed with the visa affixed, if the application is approved.
In terms of timings it usually takes around ten working days from the day all documents are submitted. It is recommended to apply well in advance before traveling.