A UAE Tax Certificate is required by most foreign countries to accept the non-residency character of their nationals.

The UAE Federal Tax Authority (“Tax Authority”) issues tax certificates to residents in the UAE.

In order to apply

The Tax Authority requires the following information from applicants:

  • Emirates ID
  • Passport
  • Source of Funds – this can be a labor contract or a license evidencing the ownership of a company and hence working on self-pay basis.
  • 6 Months Bank Statements for each year for which a residency certificate is required
  • Proof of domicile in the UAE through a lease agreement or title deed evidencing the ownership of real estate in the UAE; and
  • UAE immigration report to evidence the length of stay in the UAE


Lately, however, there’s great discussion on whether or not the UAE is issuing tax residency certificates to Spanish nationals. To date Spain is still a country listed among countries their residents are enabled to apply.

In order to prepare the above obtaining an entry/exit immigration report may rest to be assessed. The simplest way to do so is to visit immigration offices of the emirate of visa issuance. Example, if you hold a Dubai visa you should visit immigration offices in Dubai, if you hold an Abu Dhabi visa you should visit immigration offices in Abu Dhabi. It is very important to clarify it because this is contrary to general expectation of believing that being a UAE visa any immigration office can do the task. It is also worth considering for free zone visa holders whether the given free zone can provide the report, usually this can be verified in the customer free zone portal.

We trust that this publication of general application is of assistance in assessing the application for UAE Tax Certificate. Evidently at disposal for specific questions.

For additional information on UAE legalities kindly visit our Firm’s Publications here.

**DISCLAIMER: Publications in our website vest a general character and are not intended as legal advice.